Follow by Email
Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
 BUILDING HISTORY OF OUR PARISH ORGAN

The organ was made by G.M. Holdich in 1855. Holdich’s nameplate is on the keys.  We don’t know where the date comes from, but it feels about right.  The nameplate gives Holdich’s address as Judd Place East (New Road, Kings Cross) from where he moved in 1857.  The organ was according to the NPOR made for the Aldershot Iron Methodist Church, though the internet suggests that the Church in Aldershot was Church of England.  

In 1876 it was moved to Farnborough Methodist church and then to Farnborough Baptist church (NPOR).   By 1980, the organ was hosted by one school in Haslemere. It was from there in 1980, that it was bought for English Martyrs, and restored by Saxon Aldred, who left this inscription:

 RESTORED 1980-1981 AND MOVED TO THE CHURCH OF

THE ENGLISH MARTYRS, READING BY SAXON ALDRED.

ORGAN RESTORATION – UPDATE

Preliminary work has begun on the pipes which were dismantled, repaired and refitted, but did not put the organ out of action. However, the next major phase of the project will begin in January 2028 which will render the organ out of use till July/August 2028 when the work will hopefully have been completed.

Some photos below of the work carried out so far;